Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How do I change a photo with text into it to a text file so I can edit the text?

I have jpg images of text that I want to turn into text files to edit the text and add text. If I can't convert the files to text, I will have to type the entire thing over again and I have about 50 pages. Help! :)How do I change a photo with text into it to a text file so I can edit the text?
There is a type of program called an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program that can do this, There is an article listing a bunch for windows here:



http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/win/tp/ocHow do I change a photo with text into it to a text file so I can edit the text?
You need an OCR program. They usually are included with a scanner.



Search the internet and maybe you can find a trial version.
You need OCR software that will let you load a file instead of just reading from a scanner. Textbridge Classic is one. However TBC has limited input choices, so you have to take the jpg file, adjust the contrast, change to greyscale, adjust the histogram so you get all the black you can, convert to a 2 color B%26amp;W image and save in an accepted format, I use bmp.

These steps take while, but if all the images are similar, once you have solved the problems, it takes a moment to modify each one.

You may find that it is faster and more accurate to adjust the contrast on the image and print it as crisply as possible, then scan it into a program that does OCR directly where the OCR software is matched to the scanner output. I have found my cheap MicroTek scanner and enclosed ScanWizard software usually does a very good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment